Sunday, September 26, 2010

Round Rock Donuts

This weekend Brian and I headed down to Austin to watch the UT vs UCLA game.  Other than the whole losing thing, we enjoyed going to the game.  Luckily our seats were in the shade, had cushiony chair backs, and were only steps away from the bathroom and the water fountain - thanks to my MIL.  My feet still swelled up huge, but that's pretty much how that goes these days. 

On the way out of town, we decided to stop by Round Rock Donuts.  I've been wanting to go for a while having seen it on Man vs. Food and in a column on MSN about the best donuts in the country.  Typically I try to stay away from nutritionally devoid calorie bombs like donuts, but I must admit that I have used the pregnancy as an excuse to occassionally (not too often) indulge some cravings. 

The Round Rock Donuts Shop

There is quite the line for these sugary delights including a drive thru line that wraps around the street corner.  The walk-in line wasn't too bad as they are really efficient and we were happily eating our donuts outside in about 10 minutes or so.  While they are famous for their giant "Texas Sized" Donut, we opted for a couple of the normal sized original glazed donuts and a dozen donut holes.


Famous "Texas Sized" Donut (we snagged a pic of some little boy's donut)
 I will say that these were the tastiest donuts I've ever had.  All warm and sweet, they just melt in your mouth.  On another positive note, the shop clearly didn't count out a dozen donut holes; they more likely just grabbed a huge gobful and put them in a bag.  We must have had at least 3 dozen donut holes.  We munched on them the whole way home and had them for dessert that night.  They're not quite as good once they've cooled down, but still the best ever.  Yummy!

No comments: