Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My New Sewing Machine

I wrote this post many months ago, but have yet to post it, so here it is:

Back at the end of June, I pooled my birthday money and used it to buy a sewing machine.  I figure that just learning to hem my own pants could save me a bunch.  Plus, it would be nice to maybe sew a few things for Naomi and be able to do other alterations or fun projects. 

After some research, asking for advice on Facebook, and a trip to the store to check out sewing machines.  I decided on the Bernette 25 by Bernina - you can check it out here.  Bernina is a top of the line brand that typically runs in the thousands of dollars for their machines, but their Bernette line is considerably more economical.  I like to call them the "Baby Berninas" that are geared more at younger, entry-level sewers.  It's a computerized machine with 155 stitches including, letters, numbers, and a memory feature.  The controls have an iPod like feel. 

On Monday, August 8th, I went to a class at the Garland Bernina Center (inside Hancock Fabrics) to learn how to use my machine and complete a small sewing project.  It was very helpful for getting a little more comfortable with my new machine.  Of course, this project didn't go perfectly, so I found myself repeatedly saying, "It's just a pencil case".  :)  Here are some pictures and commentary from class.  I had to finish up my little project at home.  It turned out fairly well. 

My Bernette 25 - plugged in and ready to start

My packet of materials

Up and running - decorative flaps done

Progress - body of the pencil case with zipper and ribbon with decorative stitch sewn on. 

Instructor Mitzy with another student

Note:  I have finished the pencil case, other than sewing on a couple of decorative buttons and it now holds some sewing notions.  However, I have not managed to take a picture of it.

No comments: