Thursday, March 13, 2014

Swim Lessons

Naomi has been in swim lessons since a little over 1 year old and Olivia since about 5 months old.  While we liked the instructor we initially started with, the facility wasn't very kid-friendly (I'm phrasing it nicely) and I wasn't able to sync up the girls class time since there is only one instructor / class going at a time.  So, after a lot of thought, we decided to switch the girls to Emler Swim School.  We've been very happy with the change.  I've often wondered why people were willing to pay more to go to Emler (it is a little pricier than some of the other alternatives), but I get it now.  

Reasons why we like it:
  1. Great instruction!  Well trained instructors who are very consistent from class to class.  
  2. Clean and kid-friendly facility.  
  3. Variety of class times and levels - 
    • I'm able to sync the girls' class times which is advantageous for so many reasons.
    • Kids promote based both on age and ability (levels within each age group).  
  4. Kids promote out of the "parent in the water" style classes at age 2.  This may not seem like a big deal, BUT, having done a mommy and me style class with a 2 year old, I can tell you it is torturous and not productive.  Their fight for independence and your desire to keep them from drowning seems to result in something that is more akin to wrestling an octopus than a swim class.  
  5. Results - On any given Saturday, we don't really know what Naomi will do.  Her ability is a reflection of the capricious whims of a 3 year old.  Plus, I could be imagining things, but I swear she manipulates every instructor she has had (she had the last one trained to give her a whole container of M&Ms at the end of every class - sucker).  She does seem to be making good progress this semester and is swimming underwater better with some coaxing by the instructors.  However, Olivia practically vaults herself in the water and can swim underwater for about 10 seconds.  They are both doing well with floating on their backs and with working to get out of the pool on their own.  
Here are some pics:









No comments: