I've noticed that as a pregnant woman you frequently get asked "How are you feeling?" It's easy small talk, people generally want to show their caring and support for you, and other women who've been pregnant before like to empathize. For the most part I reply that I'm feeling pretty good or that I'm feeling pretty good other than the swelling. And, for the most part, that's true. However, it's not to say that I feel great or normal. Really, any time a pregnant woman gives you this response there is an unspoken "for a pregnant gal" condition attached to this statement. A new normal has been established and how you feel is based on this new pregnant version of normal.
So, here's the lowdown and longer answer to how I feel most days:
The part about the swelling is true and it precipitates quite a bit of my other "symptoms" which is why I frequently just mention it. My shoes and rings stopped fitting about a month ahead of schedule (I was prone to swelling before the pregnancy so I'm not surprised this is an issue). I pretty much just wear flip flops right now. I've bought a couple pairs of shoes (a half size to a size up and in a wide width) for when it gets colder and I'm crossing my swollen fingers that the
little plump piggies still fit into them (and that the colder weather helps the swelling). The swelling has also gone to my nose - I feel stuffed up most of the time particularly at night. I have developed a completely hideous and unladylike snore that I've never had before. Hubby bought me breath right strips and has taken to wearing ear plugs at night. Bless his heart - he didn't marry this snore, but he's being super sweet about it. The swelling has also caused what they call pregnancy carpel tunnel syndrome. My right middle finger (and sometimes the two on either side of it) are essentially constantly numb. It feels like someone injected them with novocaine. Sometimes, when the swelling is particularly bad, this escalates to a painful numbness - the finger is numb except for the arthritic-like pain in my finger joints. This is really not good when you're job is at a desk frequently involving typing, mousing, and ten-keying with your right hand. This should all go away shortly after delivery, but for now, it is not fun.
Otherwise, I have a host of other garden variety pregnancy feelings. The horrible acid reflux kicked in over a month ago and there is no end in sight. I'm generally burning up when everyone else thinks it's cool or comfortable in the room. I tire much more easily and my body feels cumbersome. Blah, blah, blah...
But other than that, I'm really feeling pretty good. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment