We were only about an hour north of what I would call the
JazzerMecca, the Oceanside Jazzercise Center.
This is where most of the corporate big wigs teach – Judi (the founder
and President), her daughter Shanna (the VP) and several of the taping team
members (Young and Chere being a couple of my favs). I scoped out the schedule and
figured that I could make it to Chere’s class which was at 9:35 and had
childcare available. (I would have loved
to make it to Young’s 8:30 class but with girls in tow, that just wasn’t
possible). I figured this would be
somewhat routine for the girls as we go to Jazzercise multiple times a week at home and they'd have plenty of relaxing time in the car and otherwise
we wouldn’t do too much so we could just get adjusted.
The short version: it didn’t go all that great. With traffic the drive was a little longer
than an hour. However, the big problem
was that about halfway into the drive, Naomi dropped her cup and proceeded to
cry (rather loudly for the most part) about it on and off for the rest of the
drive. This upset Olivia and made her cry
too. So, we get there, calm down, and walk in and it
seems like things will go okay.
Next I find out that Chere’s out and she has a sub,
Ashley. While Ashley did give a great
class and I still got a great workout, I was bummed to not take a class from
one of my favorite taping team peeps. Oh
well. I dropped the girls off in the
childcare room. It’s unfamiliar and it’s
loud and chaotic with tons of kids running everywhere (with school out, there
are definitely more kids in there). I
can barely tell who is in charge, but sort it out and sign them in on the sheet. The
girls seem a little anxious, but I hope they will adjust after a bit.
Well, they didn’t. At
the end of the aerobic section, they ask Naomi’s mom to come to the room. So, I grab the girls and my stuff and call
it. While putting Olivia into her car
seat, I notice that she quite meds a diaper change. I should have just done it in the back of my
very large vehicle, but I’m not used to having that as an option, so I just
drove on and she cried about it a bit.
Sorry Olive. The drive both ways
was quite interesting for me. I passed a
couple of military bases and they were using helicopters to load a ship out a
ways from the coast. It was neat and a
pretty drive.
Got back, got the girls down for a bit of a nap. And, heaved a sigh of relief. Oh, and for any fellow Jazzercisers who are curious, my experience there wasn't that much different than at my home-center of Plano. A few little details, size of the class and the facility, etc were different. But, functionally, it was very consistent with what we do in Plano and what I have experienced at other locations. So, that was nice to see. It made me feel good that basically our center is doing things just as well as Oceanside. (Oh, and that class was packed - people in every nook with some flowing into the lobby and I was close enough to my neighbor to be grateful that we both went the right way every time.)
After nap, I had to pack the girls up for a Walmart
trip. We needed several things,
including formula and milk, so it wasn’t optional. This was a torture filled tantrum fest and seemed
to take forever with an uncooperative toddler in tow. I know that they are just tired and having a tough time adjusting, but "nice and patient" mommy is gradually getting shoved aside by "oh so over it" mommy. I may or may not have broke down into tears at the checkout. I just needed to get out some emotions. Once done, I hauled girls and most of the
groceries up to the room and ordered room service.
Brian ate with work peeps, so I was solo with getting the grumpy kiddos
down and he had to sneak into the dark room when he returned. I read some Jesus Calling and prayed a lot,
again, a mix of confessions, prayers for redemption and peace. This would become a nightly ritual and it definitely helped.
Day 2 Coming soon... get ready for the real fun to begin! (Seriously, this trip really did get fun and worth it!)


No comments:
Post a Comment