Sunday, March 9, 2014

Progressive Lent

I've never really been too keen on the "give up something for Lent" thing, but this year I decided to go for it and go for it in a different way.  This year Brian and I will be observing what I've dubbed a "Progressive Lent".  For those unfamiliar with this practice at all, the thought behind giving up something for Lent is to remind you of the sacrifice Christ made for you on the cross and to emphasize that whatever you sacrifice, it pales in comparison to what He sacrificed.  So, the thought behind my Progressive Lent is just a bit of an expansion on that - no matter how much more I give up each period, it still doesn't come close to what Christ gave up for me.  

Since Lent is a period of 40 days, I've broken it up into 4 parts of 10 days each.  Each 10 day period I'll add something to my Lenten sacrifice.  They get progressively more challenging for me. 

The Culps' Progressive Lent
  1. (Full 40 days) Carbonated drinks / sodas - We only drink sodas about 3 times a week at this point, but I'm surprised at how much I missed it Saturday morning. 
  2. (30 days) Convenience / Preference eating out - We have certain designated "eat out" times, but outside of that we pledge to not eat out just because of convenience or "not wanting" what we have at home.  
  3. (20 days) Dessert - 'nuff said.  
  4. (10 days) Mobile Facebook for Christine and Temple Run for Brian - I could list a million reasons why this one, but I'm pretty sure you could too, so there it is.  I think we all know how much certain things on our mobile devices can distract us from real life. 
I'm curious to see what, if any, permanent changes this will bring about.  

Also, if you see me on Easter morning, feel free to greet me with a Diet Dr Pepper.  

1 comment:

Sara @ The Crazy Cozads said...

Great idea, Christine! Hope y'all are achieving success in your goals!