Thursday, July 7, 2011

Breastfeeding Update

I thought that I would do a quick breastfeeding update as a follow up to my previous post on breastfeeding which you can read here.  As I mentioned I really wanted to make it until 6 months and I have.  At this point, I'm going to keep going and see if I can make it until 9 months and re-evaluate then.  I have several friends who just had babies - some are sticking it out with the breastfeeding and some have gone the formula/bottle route.  (You'll find no judgement here either way - the process isn't easy and the choice isn't either - everybody just has to do what works for their family.)  Either way, it just made me want to do a quick update. 


It has gotten so much better.  Naomi pretty much knows what she's doing and as long as her reflux or something else isn't bothering her, the feeding goes pretty smoothly.  Honestly, there are times when I could fall asleep while she's nursing and that I don't really notice that she's come off the breast.  If you're just starting out with the breastfeeding, yes, it really can get to this point. 


We've started some solids so we're using a mix of expressed breastmilk and formula with the rice cereal, etc.  I just can't pump enough to go 100% breastmilk (both time and production wise). 


I still sometimes find it to be inconvenient, but as she gets more solids down, I'm sure that'll get better too as I'll be able to do some solid feedings in public to bridge the gap between nursings. 


Anway, just thought I'd drop a quick update.  If you're just embarking on the breastfeeding, hang in there.  It does get easier.  :)  We'll see how much longer I make it. 

1 comment:

The Links said...

Good to hear things are going well!! Things have gotten much better for us too!! And I can't wait until it is just complete smooth sailing for us!!