Monday, July 29, 2013

Trip to Anaheim – Huntington Beach (Thursday)




A friend of mine from high school, Kelly, moved out to LA around the beginning of the summer.  I hadn’t actually seen her since before I had Naomi and this makes me stop and wonder where the time has gone.  So, we met up with her, her two kids, and her in-laws at Huntington Beach.  Huntington Beach is also known as Surf City USA and it just so happens that they were setting up for the US Open of Surfing that day, kinda cool.  

When I parked the car, I didn’t think it was too far from the main pier where we were meeting Kelly, but about halfway there I realize that with the girls in tow, it was just far enough to make both my arms feel like they were about to fall off.  We found Kelly, discovered Naomi does not like walking on sand, got settled into our spot, put sunblock on everyone and set out to see what the girls thought about the ocean.  In short, they both loved it.  Kelly dipped Olivia's little feet in the water and we let her sit for a bit at the very edge of the water.  Naomi kept wanting to go farther out and didn't seem to care how many waves splashed her in the face.  Frankly, she made me a little nervous.  Naomi threw a small tantrum when I told her that ocean time was over, but the promise of sand castle building got her moving.  Bay and Gray shared their toys with her and Gray even cleaned sand out of her mouth (super sweet).  She loved playing in the sand and just filled buckets with sand repeatedly.  AND, I finally took some pictures!  :)  (Oh, isn't Kelly gorgeous!?!  She was so great with Olivia and we had such a great time getting to catch up a bit - Thanks!)











After a while, we packed up and headed to the end of the pier to Ruby’s Diner for lunch.  It was so yummy and we were stuffed.,  Naomi loved sharing my cinnamon roll French toast with me.  We caught a “tut tut” (a bicycle cab) from about halfway down the pier.  It was totally worth it!  We said goodbye to Kelly at the end of the pier and then we breezed back to the car.  

On the way back to the hotel, I fell victim to the 10 minute car nap.  Doh!  We were running late for the girls' naptimes and literally 10 minutes from the hotel, Naomi lost her fight to stay awake and nodded off.  As many toddler moms know, this translates to a completed naptime in a toddler's mind regardless of length.  When we got back to the hotel both girls refused to nap, so oh well.  That meant that I took a shower with them awake.  Olivia decided to crawl in there with me.  She loved it; it was pretty cute.  

That night we went to dinner with Penny, a women on the client side of Brian’s contract who really wanted to meet me and the kids.  The kids were great.  They were so tired, but really well behaved for kids who didn’t take a nap.  

So, all in all, a pretty good day.  

More good times are coming...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like yall had a blast! :-)
I love Cali & Huntington Beach is great!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful time. Pretty pics.