Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Four Months Old
Stats? 11 lbs 7 oz (15%), 23.75 in long (25%), and 40.5 cm / about 16 in head circumference. She's in size 1 diapers and her 3 month (or 0-3 month) clothes and seems to be growing like a weed lately.
How is she sleeping? She's doing pretty well. She sleeps in her crib every night and we only pull her into bed with us occassionally. Most of the time she'll sleep in 3-4 hour stretches at night and we've occasionally gotten a 5 or 6 hour stretch. We've continued with our bed time routine and she has a pretty consistant bedtime of 8 or sometimes a little earlier. We've been doing some sleep training and overall it's gone well - we usually only have to go back in to soothe her a couple of times before she lulls off, but at least we're not rocking her completely to sleep anymore. Also, this next month, we're going to work on soothing her back to sleep (rather than feeding her) if she wakes up in under 4 hours or so. Although she still seems to need a night feeding, I know she can comfortably go 4 to 5 hours. Gradually we'll stretch that out until we can go a full night. Naps have been going much better. She pretty much has to take one anytime she's been awake for more than an hour or so. To me, it seems like she needs entirely too much sleep for a baby her age, so we may ask the doc about that. I'm also being pretty consistant about swaddling her and putting her in her crib, just like we do at night and that seems to help a lot.
How is she eating? No change here. If anything, I think she has sped up. If a feeding lasts longer than 10 minutes, I consider it a long feeding. With her Dyson like suction, I don't think I have to worry much about clogged milk ducts.
What new tricks does she do? She still smiles a lot. To her cooing noises she has added a broad range of excited squeels and chirps. We've even got a laugh out of her a few times. She still bats at her toys and has added grasping them and will hold onto them for short times. Not only does she suck her own hands, but ours as well along with blankets or whatever else is handy and preferably soft. She holds her head up well and can sit up with support. The big progress has been at the end of this month with the tummy time action. She has hated tummy time (she's still not a huge fan really), but this month I really made an effort to keep trying it. She now holds her head up much better and can even do some pushing up onto her elbows. On Mother's Day, she surprised me and Brian by rolling over from her tummy to her back for the first time (and four more times after that) before we went to church. What a treat!!!
Doctor Visit? Naomi got an excellent report at the doctor. He was pleased with her growth as she went up in both her height and weight percentiles and said everything looked great and her development seems on track. We asked a few questions, chiefly about her Prevacid and starting solid foods. Apparently GERD peaks around 4 months (which may explain the volume of spit up we get - we've taken to using receiving blankets rather than burp cloths though the cloths make wonderful napkins/wipies). He recommends leaving her on the Prevacid until at least 6 months and said that most babies get off of it around 9 or 10 months. He recommended waiting until 6 months to start solids if possible, but indicated that we can start rice cereal and then fruits and veggies at anytime if she seems to need it (especially if we're up more than once a night for a feeding).
General Observations? She drools a lot. She seems to want constant attention and interaction. She has the cutest little pouty lower lip. It's so cute, I sometimes giggle when she first starts with it. I don't know how she has managed to positively nail that so quickly, but she'll have Daddy at the mercy of that lower lip in no time. We can already see little parts of her personality starting to emerge. She's very vocal - I don't always know what she wants, but I do know when we're not doing whatever it is. She now has all kinds of different cries, squeels, whimpers, etc. She has clearly grasped the concept that she can cry to get what she wants (usually for us to pick her up and walk around the house with her). So, we have had to start just letting her cry a little bit occassionally - for example, at the dinner table while we eat and she sits in her high chair. Other than the dinner table and the sleep training, I don't let her "cry it out" much. And even in those cases, she gets soothed at progressive intervals. It's tough right now, but we know it'll pay off later.
I can't believe she's four months already!!!! A third of a year has gone by in the blink of an eye. It's amazing how much baby changes (and how much I've changed, but that's another post). I also can't believe we'll be starting solid foods in the next couple months.
Until next month... a few extra pics for the road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment