Saturday, May 21, 2011

SAHM - A Work in Progress

As a mom, I am definitely a work in progress.  I'm sure all moms feel this way, but I feel a little extra this way and following is a bit of my tale of why.  If you've read my story from the beginning (around March of last year), then you know that I felt God tugging at my heart to have a child.  Part of my reluctance to follow this call was knowing that He would definitely work on me if I took that leap and I wasn't so sure I was interested.  When God works on you, it's just not comfortable.  It's like a deep tissue massage or physical therapy - uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but you're better and/or stronger when it's done. 


One area that I knew would be the first construction zone was my selfishness.  I have typically been a selfish person especially with my time.  Since I've been married to Brian, this has gotten better.  He is a very giving person and it's been rubbing off on me.  However, a kid leaves little room for selfish desires.  Now even my most basic needs, like meal and potty breaks, take a back seat to the baby's needs (most of the time).  There isn't any one big thing that I'm no longer able to be selfish about, it's just lots of little things.  Sometimes I just don't get to do what I want to because Naomi is tired, needs to eat, or is just done with whatever it is that I'm doing.  I miss some of the freedom, but really the weird thing is that I don't even think about it half the time.  My brother joked with me the other day that my Christmas budget got eliminated and my response was, "that's okay as long as Naomi still gets hooked up".  I smiled to myself as I realized that I'm becoming a mom that doesn't think twice about making sacrifices for her kid and I like that change. 

The other areas that have been worked on involve our habits.  This one is actually a change for both of us.  We now eat at our dining room table (instead of the couch in front of the tv), both to set an example for Naomi and to get her accustomed to sitting in her high chair during meals.  We generally clean up our dishes immediately after a meal instead of putting it off until "later", whenever that ended up being.  In general, we've just been keeping a tidier house.  This is in large part due to the fact that the house suddenly seems a ton smaller now that we've got baby gear everywhere. 

We'll see what other ways this mommy thing turns into its own version of Extreme Makeover. 

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Having a baby is a wonderful life changing event. In ways you never would have thought. It is amazing how nothing in the world matters, except the baby when they enter this world. Congrats! We are so excited for y'all and we are so glad to finally meet naomi!