To SAHM or not to SAHM, that is the question...
So, on Friday I had an interview for a part-time accounting position. I was thinking that it might be a perfect solution to my stay at home versus go to work debate. It was a full time controller position that they were taking down to a part-time accountant position and estimating that it would take 20 hours a week. That makes me a little apprehensive because in reality, it could end up being closer to full time if their estimate is off. I was hoping they would also be open to telecommuting, but they weren't. I really don't think that I got the job for a number of reasons, but as I drove home from the interview I found myself saying, "I really hope I don't get that job. It's a fine job and a fine little company, but I don't want to have to leave my little girl every day."
Honestly, I teared up a little bit realizing that I missed her after a mere few hours. I realized that I love my current job more than I could have ever imagined. For starters, I'm a homebody at heart so getting to "work" at home is a dream. Secondly, I love taking care of my girl and my household everyday. I never knew how much I would love it and how happy I would be until I got to this very point. Brian had previously expressed a desire for me to stay home with Naomi and has really enjoyed my being able to do that the past few months. If I hadn't gotten laid off, I doubt we would even be discussing this. I planned to go back to work and I highly doubt that would have changed. I liked my job and my job liked me. But, situations change and sometimes I think God forces your hand when difficult decisions are involved.
My big struggle is that, financially, it makes no sense whatsoever for me to not go back to work. The numbers just don't add up - my salary would definitely exceed the cost of even the nicest daycare. I'm an accountant, this is just against my nature. But... we can make it work with just Brian's salary and how do you put a price on getting to spend everyday with your baby?
So, after much discussion this weekend, the debate was finally concluded. Brian and I have officially decided that I will stay home with Naomi, for now at least. If at any point our situation changes such that I need to go back to work or I feel ready and wanting, then we will re-evaluate. In the meantime, if anything happens to come along that allows me to earn some additional money while still staying home with Naomi (other than Jazzercise, of course), that would be awesome. Who knows, maybe I'll discover a whole new line of work or passion during this time.
But for now, my passion is my baby girl. I'm excited to watch her grow and learn in this exciting time. I look forward to summer activities like Tiny Tots & Tunes, first swims, first swings, play dates and anything else that comes along. I feel so blessed and happy to be able to stay with my girl and I'm relieved that the decision is made. I pray that we have made the right decision and that God continues to provide for us.
Signing off...
The Accidental SAHM :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Yay!! So exciting!!
Post a Comment