Monday, December 6, 2010
Week 32 Appointment
So, here begins the story of how I ended up writing all of this from a hospital bed. There will be a lot of medical stuff at first and then more of my thoughts. I went in for my routine OB appointment on Monday, December 6th after work at which point I was technically 32 weeks 5 days. I did all my usual weigh/measure stuff and my first blood pressure reading came back quite high, so they waited until the end of the appointment and re-took it and it was a little lower but still very high and I had gained almost 10 pounds since my last appointment 2 weeks prior (most likely in fluid). I've had a lot of swelling from about the middle of the pregnancy on but since my blood pressure had always been good and I wasn't spilling any protein in my urine, the doctor hadn't been concerned yet. However, with this spike in blood pressure the doctor indicated that she wanted to do a 24 hour urine test and hourly blood pressure monitoring to see if it was pre-eclampsia. At some point, she mentioned the possibility of bed rest, but I don't think that really sunk in as an actual outcome of this at the time. So, she showed me to the back door of her office to go down to labor and delivery where I was admitted to stay overnight for the testing. This would be my first night in a hospital (um, since birth, so pretty much ever) - I've been very fortunate to not have had to stay in a hospital before. So, I get all checked in and get to start my science experiment which I've happily dubbed "playing with your pee". I'm sad that Brian and I will have to spend the night apart, but I'm still in pretty good spirits since I figure it's just a night...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment